Sunday, September 21, 2014

John Proctor: Hero or Stooge

Even though John Proctor commit adultery, he is still an honest, straight-forward guy with a huge mistake. He did commit adultery but that was all that he did and when Abigail was lying and telling everyone that people were bewitching her, he didn't like it and he was willing to make public his affair even though that would cost him his reputation. I think he is a hero for not caring about his reputation and good name. All he wants is for people to know the truth. That all those people were not witches and that Abigail and the girls were just making everything up because they didn't want to have to suffer the consequences. I think John Proctor knew what a bad and jealous person Abigail was and he didn't want to see her get away with all the lying that she was doing so he decided to tell people about the affair even if his reputation and life was on the line and that what makes a hero to me.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting post, Morgan! I liked your post a lot, and there was a lot I agreed with in it, especially when you said just at the beginning that John Proctor was a hero because "he is still an honest, straight-forward guy with a huge mistake." He wanted Elizabeth and all of the other innocent "witches" to go free, and try as he did, even exposing his adultery, it never happened (in fact, it landed him in jail, too).
    However, I have to disagree with you when you said that "John Proctor knew what a bad and jealous person Abigail was and he didn't want to see her get away with all the lying that she was doing". I believe he knew that she was lying, but I don't think he realized how crazy the situation was until he heard from Mary Warren that they were putting people into jail for hanging. I also don't think he thought Abigail was really that much of a bad person until he realized in Act III that she was trying to get Elizabeth out of the way so she could be with John.

    Whether he knew it or not, this was a good post! Thanks for the read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great explanation given Morgan! I loved the way that you emphasized what a great decision he made when confessing his affair with abigail! It's a perspective that I had a fair chance to see. Overall I agree. Great job!

    ReplyDelete